Thursday, December 23, 2004

Christmas Shopping

So I was out today, doing my last minute shopping at Southdale Mall. It was jammed with people. When I saw a young, white woman plainly dressed with a head covering on, I thought to myself, "How ironic that an Amish (or Hutterite or similar old order Anabaptist) would be here today. Strange that they shun most modern conveniences and yet shop on one of the busiest days of the year. I thought they didn't celebrate Christmas and Easter. Don't they just give each other hand-crafted furniture?"

As my head is wont to do, it was spinning over these thoughts in about half the time it took you to read them, because just seconds later I saw a man with a head covering, and I was jolted out of one socio-theological quandary into another:

"Why the hell would that dude wear such a cheap toupee?"

From there I began to wonder how much difference there really is between these two head coverings, anyway...

Merry Christmas.

4 Comments:

Blogger el mol said...

that was the best post yet on this site . . . very funny.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually that was the 9th best post... it had a nice beat so i could dance to it...

irony is a bunch of balding guys talking about head coverings...

oh wait i forgot who's site I was on...

kierkegaardically speaking in delineating the folically challenged who ensconce their cranium it is helpful to scrutinize the mirror.

riddle

merry xmas

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi tony,

i wanted to post a link to a great conversation on a possible direction for emergent to organize around.

it is happening on a blog called the poet's corner.
also, the originator of the 'great idea' is dave paisley of seattle (see the comments section to the post).

i replied with my comments, also thinking dave's idea has merit for us to consider as the emergent coordinating group. here is the:
permalinkfrom karen ward, seattle, wa
submergence.org

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony, I don't have a clever comment or criticism on this or any other post on your blog: I simply wanted to e-mail you (but I don't have your address) and tell you that I appreciate the thought and effort that you put into your posts and also for being willing to be an intellectual lightning rod for critics, cynics and searchers. Thanks for being a help in my continuing education.
John M.
johnm@bluer.org

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home