Wednesday, October 06, 2004

remember, envy is a sin

I had a pretty good day yesterday. Really, one of the best days ever. Here's a run-down.

Woke up (in my barren, cell-like apartment in Princeton) and made a pot of espresso. Read the rest of Moltmann's Theology of Hope. When I googled the restaurant at which I'd be eating dinner, I thought, Oh crap, I need to go buy a tie (all my ties are in Minnesota), so I walked over to Marshall's and bought a green tie for $10.

I then proceeded to take the New Jersey Transit train into NYC. It was a beautiful day in the City, so I walked north into Midtown. I hung out for the next several hours atop the Peninsula Hotel, in a spa (http://newyork.peninsula.com/pny/leisure.html) that has reciprocal membership with Flagship (http://www.flagshipac.com), my home club in Minnesota. The Penisula Club is real shee-shee: warm robes, mahogany lockers, and lots of people standing around to hand you a towel or shine your shoes. I had an interesting conversation about the state of religion in the U.S. with an old Italian-American "realtor" named Alfonso.

Around 6, I met a new friend from a publishing house for a glass of wine. We had a great conversation getting to know one another, and we talked about how his house could develop some resources for high school/college age students.

Then, at 8, I met some other, long-time and very valued friends from another publishing house for what must be ranked as one of the top five meals in my life. It was orgasmic.

We were seated at Le Bernardin (http://www.le-bernardin.com/) just after 8 and we started with a glass of champagne. I went on to have these three courses of fish:

from "Almost Raw"
HAMACHI TARTARE
Hamachi Tartare Topped with Wasabi Tobiko; Ginger-Coriander Emulsion

From "Barely Touched"
TUNA
Thinly pounded yellow fin tuna lightly seared on one side

From "Lightly Cooked"
CODFISH
Pan Roasted Codfish, Sautéed Baby Artichokes, Pistachio and Parmesan in a Sage and Garlic Perfumed Broth

For Dessert
PLUM
Honey and Vanilla Poached Prune Plums; Mille-Feuille of White Chocolate, Pistachio, and Caramel Ganache

The wine was called "Flower," and it was fantastic. Truly, every bite was heavenly. And, needless to say, the conversation was wonderful, challenging, funny, foward-looking, and left me with a warm glow as I took the train back to NJ.

It was a good day.

P.S.: I had three different people make a point of telling me how much they liked my tie.

2 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

rough life...i took a hebrew exam, sat through 5 hrs of class, and served up food at the dining hall...

gosh, "I" want to be a ph.d student.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tony,
will you be at solomons porch on sunday?

john bradley

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home