Monday, October 31, 2005

Kyle Lake

I will miss Kyle. As one is wont to do in these technologized times, I just went back through all my email exchanges with him -- he was such a wonderful and generous guy. Once I recommended him for a speaking gig, which he took and did a wonderful job at. A couple weeks later, I received a gift card for The Cheesecake Factory in the mail from him, along with a grace-filled thank you note. That blew me away -- I would never have thought of doing that.

I don't know if Relevant used it, since I haven't seen the book yet, but here's the endorsement I offered after reading the manuscript of Kyle's just-published book on prayer:

“When people who are attempting to follow Christ open up and get honest with one another, it’s practically inevitable: they start talking about their frustration with prayer, their feelings of guilt at not praying enough or well enough, and their deep fears that maybe prayer doesn’t really work after all. In other words, they last thing we need is another book on prayer that if full of platitudes and euphemisms. Thank God that Kyle has the ability to look at Christian prayer for what it really is: the maddening, beautiful, confounding, inept attempts of human beings to communicate with our Creator. This book is a gem. And one more thing, Kyle is one heckuva writer!”

One more thing: Kyle and I were supposed to go duck hunting on a trip arranged by Jason Mitchell in January. I wish I would have gotten that chance, especially after reading Jason's tribute.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Thanks for calling attention to this amazing pastor, Tony...what a tragedy.

Mandy

9:29 AM  
Blogger LukeMiller said...

a family, a congregation, and hundreds of friends and colleagues feel a tremendous loss today. thanks for your tribute to such a great man.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for referring us to the beautiful tribute, Tony. Your endorsement of Kyle's book is wonderful. Hope you are having a great week! Pax, Adele

12:23 PM  
Blogger Bob Robinson said...

The grief that Emergent has had this year is amazing (with first Stan and then Kyle).

I'm not only praying for Kyle's family but for the hearts that are grieving all over the country who have come to know Kyle and are hurting.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home