Thursday, May 11, 2006

Reading

Having finished my coursework and comps, and before the next book and then (drumroll, please) dissertation -- hey, if Lauren Winner can finish hers, then I can finish mine -- I read a few books for pleasure. One great one was In the Lake of the Woods by Tim O'Brien. It was wicked...good. That is, it was wicked and good and wicked good. I really want to read The Things They Carried next. This dude is haunted by Vietnam, but he also happens to be a postmodern memoirist and novelist, playing with issues of truth and reality.

I listened to 1776 by David McCullough -- it was excellent. The fact that he can not only write a great story, but also read it in such a compelling fashion was admirable.

The Kite Runner was also on the reading list. I liked it -- it moved along briskly -- but didn't love it. For the second time, I tried, and failed to read Eco's Baudolino -- I just can't get past about page 150. The same thing happens when I try to read Foucault's Pendulum.

Finally, I'm alsmost done with a history of Byzantium. It's pretty dry, and it moves along too fast, but it's good to fill in about 500 years of history that I'm pretty fuzzy on.

Next in the queue: one hundred years of solititude.