Friday, December 15, 2006

What Makes Me Faint

Now, I don't want you thinking that I faint willy-nilly. The sight of blood, even my own, doesn't make me weak in the knees. Neither do dead bodies -- I see 3-5 cadavers every year as a police chaplain.

No, I faint in very specific circumstances: in a clinical setting, when a physician is describing the internal functions of my body, usually accompanied by a drawing or x-ray.

It first happened in college. I had reffed a hockey tournament that had me skating 14 hours a day for three days straight. By the end of the tourney, I couldn't even walk. I went to the college infirmary and was told I has severe tendinitis in both ankles, and, as the doc drew pictures of my tendons on that white paper they pull over the exam table, I went down. This week, it happened as soon as he popped the x-rays of my knee on the light box.

I also occasionally faint at the sight of really bad theology.

13 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

rapture! rapture! rapture!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Steve K. said...

Don't you mean "really ugly theology," Tony? ;-)

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe that's what happens to all those folks who go to see Benny Hinn! oops, was that out loud?

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I faint at the site of hatred. If it's cloaked in theology, then yes, the blood quickly rushes away from the head and makes me wish someone knew something about God that made us all glad to be human.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

I faint too. I'm not sure if it is at broken body parts, but I have done it on occasion. I also am having surgery soon (on my shoulder for the second time in a year). So I feel your pain in both areas.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Beal said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:03 AM  
Blogger Beal said...

So really bad theology? Coming from an Emergent guy, that's funny. What theology is "really bad"?

2:06 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

dude, i have the same problem i think. if i get on the internet and start READING about medical conditions, especially if they are ones i'm currently suffering from them, then i get REALLY light headed. i haven't fainted from that. yet. but it's been close sometimes....

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tony! This isn't about you fainting, because talk of fainting probably doesn't help the situation - but I wanted to say that you're doing good with your word count... 29k - wow! You're almost half way there! Way to be. Keep up the hard work... family, writing, running EV, dealing with X-Rays... I imagine it's a lot...but I think you're doing a great job. Thank You!

PS - Thank you for caring about "good theology" which I know for you doesn't necessarily mean you're theology...

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jim. I think you mean your theology. I don't think Tony is actually theology himself.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Beal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:00 AM  
Blogger el mol said...

two words: compound fracture

5:04 PM  
Blogger Sivin Kit said...

the sight of blood makes me dizzy. Take care. Hope your Advent season is "improving"

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home