Wednesday, February 28, 2007

In Praise of Herring

People think pickled herring is gross, but I love it. I eat it whenever possible. I think it's fantastic. I mean, who wouldn't love a raw little fish, soaked in vinegar and placed on a cracker.

All I can hope is that next week in Norway and Denmark, there will be lots of herring.

There was no herring last week in North Carolina, but there was some good BBQ. And much excellent conversation was consumed. The folks at Campbell University were gracious as always, I got ashed at Emmaus Way on Wednesday, followed by some great Hauerwasian debates over beer at a local watering hole with EW folks, and then a couple days at UNC-Greensboro. Finally, a great seafood dinner with Tim and Mimi Conder before I flew home.

Two reflections:

First, something is up in North Carolina. There are, like, three or four strong cohorts in the state. Folks like Zach Roberts are starting new monastic communities, and lots of people are debating the retreatism of Hauerwas :-). And Doug just told me that he'll be in NC four times this year for different meetings and events.

And second, I cannot speak highly enough about Scot McKnight. Honestly, there are few people in the world that I'd rather spend time with. He's funny, humble, and he knows the New Testament. He can handle friendly disagreement, and even some ribbing about the cuffs and pleats in his pants. I get the real sense that he's a man of integrity, and I'll bet that his students at North Park love him. So, book him to speak at your church or event before his schedule gets too full -- you'll have a new friend.

7 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Tony,

Sorry for the somewhat random comment, but speaking of cohorts, I am interested in starting one. I submitted a message on the EV website a couple weeks ago and never heard back (maybe I'm just impatient...). Anyways, any tips on what I need to do?

I enjoy your blog.

Adam

1:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Loved it... the thoughts, insights, wisdom and shared smokes! God's got a really good sense of humor!
Thanks for coming and sharing... it's so rich!
shalom & Loving Fiercely- Cathryn Thomas

7:46 PM  
Blogger sam andress said...

Sounds like it was a good time. I hope good conversation is had in Philly. This is my first time reading Caputo or Kearny and I find them stimulating.

Oh...and Hauerwas is not "reatreatist".

12:50 AM  
Blogger tony said...

Scot comments thusly:

Tony,

A gentleman like me, of a certain girth (now shrinking) -- if you know what I mean, finds a gentle comfort in a classy set of pleats.

On cuffs ... not sure what to say, dude, but it appears to me that my pants look nicer than yours.

One clear thing: we have a similar style when it comes to shoes -- Born -- but yours didn't wear well.

Some props somewhere for my color T-shirt?

And you are kind to say what you did. Know that I enjoyed listening to you, too. It was a pity the IV folks didn't show up; some crossfire would have been very good in that setting. I think the environment was safe and friendly enough for it.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Zach Roberts said...

Thanks for the shout-out man!

You're right-on about Scot, and he does know how to rock a colored t-shirt.

I'll have that top 10 Emergent T-shirts up on my blog today.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Terry-Michael said...

What? No comment or mention of your Herman Munster rental car? Good to be with you in NC.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

tony,

Pickled Herring, huh? Well, I'll actually be in Denmark for a conference a week after you're there, so I may have to give it a try. Anyway, I couldn't figure out how to e-mail you, but wanted to thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving comments that had more grace and tact than my own. I will comment more there myself.

Peace,
Steve

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home