Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Comp One: Practical Theology

1. Offer a critical and appreciative assessment of Don Browning’s model of practical theology, giving special attention to A Fundamental Practical Theology. Develop your own model of practical theology with reference to that of Browning, explicating similarities and differences.

2. Provide an overview of the transversal approach to interdisciplinary work, describing some of the key persons who have given rise to this approach. Building on your answer to question one, compare the transversal approach to Don Browing’s revised correlational model of interdisciplinary work. Which of these approaches do you find most helpful for your own interdisciplinary work in practical theology? Offer reasons for your choice.

3. Drawing on the model of practical theology and approach to interdisciplinarity developed in questions one and two, analyze a practical theological text currently exerting influence on the “new paradigm” or “emergent” church movement. Offer a critical assessment of this text from the perspective of your own model of practical theology.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Rector said...

Ohhh... sounds like fun!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Aj Schwanz said...

Uh, . . . forty-two? That is the meaning of life, afterall. :)

I was just asking Gregg what his favorite memory of seminary was -- was the experience worth it, or was it, as my father puts it, "a bunch of hoops to jump through"? You guys are making me wonder . . .

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony,

Actually, I think your answers would be fascinating. There are times I wish I could go to school, but know that I am where I am meant to be. So books and blogs will be my classroom!

Peace,
Jamie

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony, you are a real man. I admire your desire to work through theology and hope your skills will help the rest of us who are not able to continue their theological education.

I must also say you must have a strong family and a great wife to allow you this honor in your life.

God bless you man and please allow this to be a blessing to the rest of us in emergent.


Steven White

8:15 PM  
Blogger tonymyles said...

Tony -

I'm excited for how this opportunity will stretch your brain and keep you awake at night thinking, "How do I say the same thing I said four pages ago using different words."

What excites me even more, though, is how this will help the Church at large. Praying all of this fuel finds an engine somewhere...

T.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home