Friday, May 12, 2006

More Reading

Maybe my favorite book of the winter was Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods. Rarely do I laugh out loud while reading, but I did often during my voracious consumption of this book. In fact, I left my original copy, given to me by Brandon Barker, in a hotel room (on the back of the toilet), so I had to spring for another copy while flying through O'Hare. It was worth it -- what a great writer Bryson is. I'd kill to be able to write in such a winsome and hilarious tone, while also saying something important. Who knows, maybe I'll bump into him next month in Hanover, NH.

Yesterday, I finally picked up a book I've long been wanting to read, given to me a year ago by James Mills. It's a collection of speeches by Vaclav Havel, a man I have long admired. In an age of Christianism, spin, and speech writers, Havel wrote his own speeches and always spoke the truth -- and he spoke unequivocally about truth. I wonder what he'd say if he was going to speak at Liberty University...