Friday, March 09, 2007

Friends

I am truly blessed, I have once again discovered on this trip. I am now in Norway, and I've again been taken in by wonderful people who love God and love the church. Enough of this, and I might forget about all of the bloggers out there who think I'm the spawn of Satan.

After my engagements in Arhus, Denmark, I said a sad farewell to my friends Thomas and Henrick. I was driven by some fun-loving Americans to my next stop, a Pentecostal Bible college about an hour away. Jakob Vagner, teacher there, welcomed me with another great Danish meal (you don't hear much good about the food in northern Europe, but lemme tell you, the Danes know how to eat!). On Thursday, I addressed the student body in four sessions in the morning and had a session exclusively with the second-year students after lunch.

I was driven to the Billung Airport by a couple of students, and I flew in a very small plane to Oslo, where I was collected by another new friend, Bente. She had an excellent Norwegian breakfast for me this morning: bread, meat, cheese, fruit, and strong coffee. She then drove us to the Norwegian School of Theology, where I held forth for the morning, and into the afternoon. Now I've got a bit of downtime prior to my last engagement, tonight at a Covenant Church (where I'm sure to make more friends).

Somebody said that a man is rich, who is rich in friends. These are wise words indeed. And, I'm not trying to be sappy or anything here, but I've been thinking a lot about this concept of friendship whilst on this trip. There's really something to it -- the theological virtue of friendship -- and I'm mighty glad that we've made that a hallmark of Emergent Village.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the deepest comment you will EVER hear about EMERGENT. It is code, but you are smart enough to figure out it's ramifications.

"EMERGENT IS THE "AMEN-BROTHER" BEAT OF THE CHURCH"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj0vfU0vFSs

It will be years until Emergent's "Beat" is heard-but it will.

-GOD

9:39 AM  
Blogger Tiger said...

Why do other bloggers think you're the spawn of satan?

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tony.
Thank you for your visit at our bibleschool in Mariager, Denmark. The students really liked your teaching and you gave us some good and important inputs as a school. I myself was left with two good questions after you left for Norway.
I was challenged in a good way by your thoughts on the incarnation. I think you are right when you say that we in the church in the West have accepted Jesus as both God and human, but in our hearts and practice still miss out on some of the human side. Its mindblowing to think how radically God have chosen to muld and mix with creation - and I am wondering how we can become better in seeing and feeling and living out of that reality...?
During your teaching you also came up with some critic on dualistic christianity and churced of today build on that kind of thinking. I fully agree on your thoughts - but at the same time im challenged by the way churched influenced by gnostic filosofi is confronted in the New Testament: on the one hand they are told off for their stupid thinking and practice - but on the other hand they are accepted and loved as true members of the christian church family. Im wondering how we can get in to the same healthy balance between critic and love today...?
Hope to hear from your!
Jakob Vagner

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home