Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Thoughtfully Reformed

I am so way, far behind on blogging! My final (and fourth) draft is due to Jossey-Bass on June 1, so it's difficult to write here when that's breathing down my neck. I'm also traveling to speak every weekend this month.

I was at Western Theological Seminary in Holland, Michigan for the first half of last weekend. As I arrived, I saw two girls walking down the sidewalk in full Dutch costume with wooden clogs on. No joke. Turned out it was the weekend of the annual Tulip Festival. Of course, I immediately thought this meant they were celebrating driscollian/piperian theology, but in fact it was the flowers they were excited about.

Speaking of reformed theology, I found the folks at WTS to be warm, open, evangelical, and reformed. They were thoughtful, and not the least bit reactionary. Surely some didn't like all that I had to say, but their hospitality trumped any disagreements.

The conference was for area youth workers, as well as interested seminarians and Hope College students. When I meet people like that, I almost reconsider my current thoughts about seminary education...

5 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

Interesting Tony. Having grown up in the Reformed Church (meaning the Dutch version), I have found little that I recognize in reformed theology ala Driscoll, MacArthur, and friends. I don't know what the similarities and differences are, but the reformed opinions I run across in the blogosphere bear no resemblence to the Reformed Church I knew as a child.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Kirk Longhofer said...

We'll see you in DC tomorrow. Georgetown and Tony and a good import. How could we go wrong!

kdl

3:42 PM  
Blogger Thoughts From Jeff said...

Good to see a post and that talks went well.

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony,

Thanks for joining us in Holland last week, it was great to be with you.

2:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious if that last comment means you're skeptical of seminary education, or if you have considered a teaching position?

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home