Thursday, November 18, 2004

Moltmann 5: Oh, Jurgen, I just love it when you do that

You may be wondering why I'm so fond of Moltmann. Well, check out these comments from the preface to his The Trinity and the Kingdom: The Doctrine of God:

"Always using the same methods leads to rigidity on the part of the author and weariness in the reader."

"I know and accept the limits of my own existence and my own context. I do not claim to say everything, as earlier dogmatic and systematic theologians once did, in their summas and systems. What I should like to do, however, is to participate in the great theological dialogue with theologians past and present."

"These contributions are not offered in the form of a dogma or a system; they are suggestions. They are not intended to conclude discussions; they are meant to open new conversations."

And I could go one from there. For about ten pages, Moltmann goes on about a new way to do theology, one that is humble, open, and provocative.

Now, notice that last adjective: provocative. One can be humble yet provocative. Indeed, one can be humble and angry. So, don't let anyone marginalize you as an "angry emerger" if your anger is 1) provoking Christ's church to be better than it currently is, and 2) from a spirit of humility -- that is, with an understanding that we all stand in judgment under the cross.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go try to figure out what is going on in Geist des Lebens, talk to George Hunsinger about it, and then tell us if you're still enamored with Moltmann.

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home